Monday 26 February 2007

Communication




Last time I was talking about the way gravity works in cartoons, but another thing that is fascinating is the 'speech baloon'. How did that get started? It's so much a part of our symbol language and a universal device, that everyone knows what it means to have a wee balloon with a pointy bit aiming at someone's mouth. If it looks like a cloud the subject is thinking, not talking. Jagged lines are often from tannoys or radios. And so on. Sorry I am just aimlessly rambling on now. I started by saying everyone knows this and went on to tell it anyway, like 'and here is a woman that needs no introduction...' followed by five minutes of drivel. Here's a cartoon, hope you like it.

6 comments:

Michelle Lana said...

hahah...so funny! Great work!

Doug said...

great idea, here... and well done!

Arkonbey said...

very nice. It's an old joke, but you made it quite fresh. The 'hooters' balloon works, but I think the other 'top shelf' balloons could use work. 'whee woooo' doesn't make much sense; perhaps 'day-yum' or some-such would have worked better.

I do think the little register display of 'retorts' is absolute genius.

Cuffe said...

Well arkonbey- I agreed with you so I made some changes. In my defense, I had paying work to do and threw that together as I ran out the door. But if a job's worth doing... (that would make a good speech balloon). As for it being an old joke, I'll take your word for it, I've never seen it before. But thank you for going to the trouble to give me your thoughts.

Ammon said...

great concept. I really like the style too.

Jeannetto said...

good point

maybe on my next comic i'll consider thinking outside the box

pun!