Saturday 14 April 2007

Comment


I recently raised a small squall in a tiny teacup with my blog within Illustration Friday Night. It was fascinating to watch (and I admit, gently coax) the extremes of reaction, from those who 'got' the intended irony and satire in the piece and others who either chose to misinterpret them and then pound their fists in anger or even those who amazingly didn't get the fact that there was no offence intended at all. Of course a large part of the fault was mine in assuming that any subtlety in humour (and I have to say I thought there was bugger all subtlety!) would translate across the many different countries and cultures represented within IFN. For the record, and not in any way to mitigate the original post and comments but rather to expand on the points raised, I said that we should put older fatter women to work and replace them with younger women with large breasts. Not only am I not a misogynist, but I don't judge people by weight or shape. It. Was. A. Joke. By saying something completely outrageous and totally indefensible I thought to raise a slight smile on the face of anyone reading it. But then I am being called names, or having people waving admonishing fingers or others complaining that I am attention seeking. A lot of those comments were also said in the spirit of the original post and also meant to be dismissed as lightly but there is a fear that those who had the tone and nature of the humour pass them by with nothing but a slight whistling sound as it passed over their heads, were probably cheering on the detractors and thinking 'damn right' that sure showed him! Steve W. pointed to an interesting article in The Guardian by Tim Dowling picking up on the theme and the nature of posts on blogs. One of the points was to suggest we only say things in blogs that we would say in person. Well, personally I am a 6'3'' Glaswegian and will happily say the same things in person and deal with the consequences too. But in person I can adopt a sardonic air, raise an eyebrow or even crinkle the skin around my eyes in such a way as to make clear that it's fine, I'm only joking. However for the same reason as I would never literally stick my tongue in my cheek to signal a lack of sincerity I refuse to add LOL or a wee happy smiley face after a sarcastic sentence; if someone doesn't get that I am joking, tough.
So just to be clear: If I want to offend or insult someone I will not be subtle about it, I will happily call them a tosser to their face. If I make some outrageous statement apropos nothing whatever, I am joking. I mean no offence. Unless it's to dog owners. What a pathetic bunch of losers they are. LOL :)!!!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

*applause*

Anonymous said...

to clarify - NOT the tittering palm grazing fluffy friction sort..of applause that is.

just to clarify of course.

Anonymous said...

'cause you knew what I meant, right?

Cuffe said...

I think I am getting scared to say anything or assume I know what anyone means! But I will choose to take it as a compliment, thank you.

Steve said...

Wow, you've just gone and portrait-ed the whole fricken team. Awwwwwwesome.

Talking of portraits. Do you mind if I submit the one you did of me and the one I did of you to Rama's Portrait Party?

Cuffe said...

No I don't mind at all. But what are you talking about?

baggelboy said...

Cartooning should never be a polite profession. If it was then we might as well draw Dilbert and Garfield cartoons.

Most of the time people are offended by what they hate in themselves.

Keep up the good work.

Cuffe said...

Thank you baggelboy, I appreciate that.

Anonymous said...

yes, a compliment *sigh*

Steve said...

Get. With. The. Programme. (Dude)

Madcap Baroness with Teacup said...

Such a long explanation and a form of apology? Who'd a thunk it! But did you really catch the humor in some of the comments? Your comments were obviously cheeky. You are not the only smart ass around.

You're a grown man, you must realize that if you do something that seems even the slightest bit insulting or controversial, with humor or not, that it will cause a stir. Do want you want to do and let others make a fuss if they want. You're not successful at something until someone out there really hates it and tells you so.

I got the impression you liked being provocative.

Signed,

a dog owner

Cuffe said...

Thanks Perriette. I put the comments here, seperately from IFN because I am not as attention seeking as you might think. I am also not apologising for something that was either funny or was not. As my teenage daughter would say- 'whatever'. It WAS fascinating the way it was taken differently by so many people, both the original post and the comments that followed.

Anonymous said...

I was ever so thankful to have the pleasure of writing the word cunt again. I didn't feel like writing it in capital letters this time. It's not as fun.

Susan Schwake said...

awh it was a wee darling joke and of course, we assumed (er, speaking for myself) that we could go along in the same vein.
that 6'3" vein of yours.
thanks for the laugh. no explaining necessary.